Dealing With Toxic People: Detox Your Social Media
D o you find it difficult to deal with toxic people & relationships? I struggle with them most of the times but today I’ll be sharing with you how you can detox your social media. I believe in starting small – start from our intangible online relationships first before we go on a more personal level 😉
Just imagine – most of the times we spend are on our phone reading emails, browsing through our Facebook Newsfeed & Twitter Timeline. If most of the people post negative stuff on their social media, their negativity will rub off on us sometimes. Hence it is important that we do some housekeeping to our social media accounts from time to time 😉
What Are Toxic People?
The definition of “toxic” people vary from time to time. I define people as toxic if they post:
- Self-centred stuff >80% of the time – they only talk about themselves, how awesome they are, flaunt their assets i.e. branded bags >> if you feel lacking / inferior everytime you see how ‘perfect’ their lives are, they are toxic to you
- Emo Stuff >50% of the time – they are very negative, always ranting about how their life sucks, how they got ditched by their partner etc. You don’t want to get affected and absorbed by their negativity.
- Email marketers who keep promoting their products or irrelevant ‘freebies’ that don’t cater to your Personal Development needs – they only care about earning from your predicament & have no concern of your well-being
I KNOW Him / Her? How?
- I hear you – you are friends / colleagues with that toxic person. It’s awkward for you to unfollow / unfriend him / her on social media but having to deal with seeing their toxic posts everyday on your timeline / newsfeed is a torture.
- Fret not, technology is very advanced nowadays. You can “unsubscribe” to them without having to unfollow / unfriend them.
Facebook is one of the most popular social media platforms with approximately 1.94 billion monthly active users (as at March 2017). I think almost everyone we know have a Facebook account and is on your friends list.
So here’s a Ninja technique whereby you can make toxic posts disappear from your Newsfeed without you having to unfriend them. So you will not break your friends’ hearts & they will never find out about their posts disappearing from your Newsfeed. Amazing huh?
Simply go to that toxic friend’s Facebook Profile (see demo screenshot above). Click on “Following” and a list will drop-down. Simply select “Unfollow XXX” and tadaaaaa! His / her posts will disappear from your Newsfeed for good 🙂
Now Twitter works kind of different from Facebook because it has a super fast moving timeline & some users abuse it by tweeting their rants every 5 minutes. It’s frustrating if you login to your Twitter to see it getting spammed by the same friend’s rants.
You’re super tempted to unfollow that toxic friend but you held back because it would be awkward if him / her discovered that you unfollowed them. You won’t feel good about it either but you don’t want to be tortured by their spams.
So, here’s me to the rescue 😉
Simply click on the 3 vertical dots beside “Following” button, a drop-down list will appear. Click on “Mute @Username” and yay! That toxic person will stop spamming your sacred timeline! Cool eh? Not really.. Lemme show you one last Ninja technique..
Email Newsletter Subscriptions
Do you always subscribe to Email Newsletter for freebies / promotions? I feel you.. Cuz well, we’re greedy & who doesn’t like to subscribe for freebies right?
The problem is that these newsletter clutter your inbox & there is NO WAY you can read ALL of them. If you can, perhaps you have wasted hours on reading emails in your inbox & that causes stress & anxiety 🙁
Moreover, some brands send you lots of promotional emails – they have sales / time-sales EVERY SINGLE DAY. So what happens if you see them everyday? You might select a few items and put them in your cart.. After a few more days seeing the ‘reminder’ emails, you click on the “Checkout” button. And one month later – you got your credit card bills. BAM – moment of truth, you burst your budget again…
That was me in the past. Sephora, Qoo10.. You name it…
So, here’s a super duper powerful way you can MASS UNSUBSCRIBE from these toxic email newsletters.
You may just visit Unroll.me & give it a try. It’s the most powerful unsubscribe software ever!
You may unsubscribe manually if you have difficulties using the free software:
- Arrange email senders by name / email address
- Screen through their email content – if <80% is value-adding, simply unsubscribe to them manually
- Most email service provider has the “unsubscribe” button at the end of each marketing email – just scroll all the way down and click on “unsubscribe”
Do You Detox Your Social Media?
Do you detox your social media? If so, how often do you do that?
Share with me in the comment box below!
To A Victorious You